Saturday, August 8, 2015

Project SSTC1 - I've got Sound!!!

After reviewing datasheets, yet again, for the MOSFET drivers I'm using (TI's UCC37321/2) and re-reading some sources on interrupters for SSTCs and methods of audio modulation with SSTC's I finally had that Ah-Ha moment.

I've made Plasma Speakers / Singing Arc's just after building my first Spark Gap Tesla Coils.  These, generally took an audio signal (normally fed to a speaker or earphones) and put it through the driver for a Television Flyback Transformer.  The only method I used involved amplitude modulation (AM-like radio) and SSTC audio drivers seem more focused on frequency and pulse width modulation.  Correction, after re-reading datasheets for the LM555 timer chip I learned that pin 5 actually modulates the frequency (some descriptions I had read stated, incorrectly, that pin 5 adjusted the output amplitude.  I finally understood how you combine frequency and pulse width modulation (it's actually pretty simple and involves pretty simple calculations).

I'll get more into the difference later, for now here's the video:


No comments:

Post a Comment