I don't have many pictures and I actually didn't think about taking any until everyone was beginning to break down. Actually, some exhibitors had already packed up and left, along with the crowd we had earlier in the day.
The day turned out to be great, though it started out cold and windy in the morning. Steadily, more and more people came out to the point of being pretty busy and the day pretty much flew by. I learned a lot talking to other exhibitors as well as from people who came to my booth.
I can't wait till next year.
Pictures below: (first pic is my little booth, with Callie hidden behind my desktop CNC)
Links for some other articles and websites about the 1st Annual Mokena Mini Maker Faire:
I've been so busy, between working and, trying to get my 3D Printer up and running I haven't had any time to post (other than on Twitter). I'll be updating on my build progress along with pictures from today's Mokena Mini Maker Faire (where I exhibited my DIY Desktop CNC and 3D Printer builds)
Made a lot of progress Saturday on my 3D Printer build. Sunday I
focused on configuring the Marlin firmware on the Arduino Mega and
getting all the electronic components working correctly:
verifying that each axis getting
dialing in current settings on the
making sure that stepper
directions are set correctly
hot end and temp sensor working correctly
I tested using Pronterface (this was my first time using it, checked tutorials later but learned nothing new
– the interface is very understandable).
able to move x and z axis
x-axis moves in opposite
Inverted the movement direction
for x axis in Marlin firmware and now it moves in correct
z-axis moves but not well
increased current to steppers
using trim-pot on Pololu board to max current (I did try
decreasing also but no movement at all at lower current) and it
moves more reliably
no movement on y-axis
doesn't seem to be getting any
voltage – can turn motor with no resistance, even when sending
moves in opposite direction.
Extruder moves when stepper driver
is set at max current but with very little force (light pressure
from 1 finger stops rotation)
My main goal Sunday to figure
out why the Y-axis is not moving/ getting power. I tried
connecting the Y axis motor to the X axis controller (using the
original Y axis wiring) and the motor works. Testing the Y axis
controller with other stepper motors resulted in no movement.
Switching out driver boards – still no movement on Y axis.
To get a cleaner test I removed all
wires/plugs/boards from the RAMPS board (including the Arduino Mega)
and carefully re-connected everything (or so I thought). Once I was done re-assembling everything I switched on power to the board and... POOF the x-axis stepper board let out smoke and my computer shut down. I instantly cut the power off but I was to late. On close inspection of the stepper driver board I saw that I had plugged it in incorrectly (2 pins were hanging off the end). It turns out that not only did I kill the stepper board I also rendered the Mega useless because the USB-to-serial converter on the board got fried, so I can power the board but serial communication is essentially gone.
I ordered a new Mega board and another RAMPS board (just to be safe since I can't test the one I have). I think I need a
higher voltage PSU to power the stepper motors that I have (minimum
voltage for them is 12V) but the good news is that since I am not using a heated bed my total power requirements are lower that I thought.