Thursday, March 25, 2021

Project Shocker/Zapper Training Knife


(This is a potentially dangerous device so home experiments are not recommended - it is far safer to use commercial products that have been tested and certified as safe).

I wrote this up a few years ago and it is still on my back burner as something that could be a useful training tool.


Having an extensive background in fitness training and martial arts (especially Filipino and Thai martial arts) I was exited to see a very useful training on Hack Your Brain - the ShocKnife.  In the past I've used wooden blades, foam blades, aluminum training blades, rubber blades and even ratan blades (while wearing padded armor) and even real (live) blades when doing drills.  I've always been concerned since it wasn't always obvious if I'd been hit and so was the training/sparring I was doing effective?

The ShocKnife seems to solve this, or at least makes it more difficult to ignore that you've been tagged in some way.  Seeing it, I really want one (or better yet 2 for sparring) but at a price tag of $200 each it is unlikely.

After some searching I found that a few other people made attempts at DIY versions:
https://fightsciencesresearchinstitute.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/diy-electric-training-knife/
http://www.martialmakers.com/?p=89

Seeing these attempts, and looking at the actual specifications of the ShocKnife I can see a few issues:

  • total power delivered
  • current delivered
  • voltage delivered


For safety we need minimal current levels (even 30mA can kill at the right voltage level).
Voltage needs to be high enough for the shock to get through clothin.

Looking at the commercial product ShocKnife the StressBlade is their entry level trainer and the specifications they list are 

  • 7500Volts, less than 1mA (7.5kV at 0.75mA which comes to 5.625Watts of Power.

Reviewing the Specifications of the Fly Swatter Racquet and a standard commercial Stun gun.  Before I reveal the actual specs I will say that both of these devices, without alterations, can produce burns and other injuries - the ShocKnife seems to not do this.
Specs

  • BugZapper Raquet - 2AA bateries (3V) seem to be a few hundred volts (maybe in the thousands) - with a high milliamp output
  • Stun Guns seem to use 100,000's to 1,000,000's Volts at a few milliamp's and the ones used by law enforcement can cause significant burns

For a DIY solution we definitely need to ensure a very low current output but at an output frequency that is irritating while being harmless to human tissue.

I am still quite tempted to just purchase one of the commercially available StressBlade.  It isn't something I actually need for training but just something I feel would add to knife defense training.

Resources:
Shocknife
Voltage Multiplier Design Guide

1 comment:

  1. This is actually a project from about 5 years ago, I never posted it and it's sat on the shelf since then. I want to make some real progress on it this spring.

    ReplyDelete