Monday, May 25, 2020

COVID Isolation Project # 13 - Tesla Coil Upgrade


My Original big coil, "Old Sparky", needs a new high voltage capacitor. Since I do not have the cash to buy one I'm making another one. At a minimum it needs to handle 12kV. I definitely won't finish it today but when it is done it will likely result in 4' arc's off of this old spark gap coil. First pic is the old capacitor, next is the supplies for the new on, spark gap for coil, power supply (outputs 6kV peak to peak), voltage doubler (increases it to 12kV), variac to control input voltage and finally Old Sparky. I'll post video when it's working at full capacity again (hopefully by this weekend).






1 comment:

  1. Next week should see the new "first light" for this coil. New primary capacitor is built and just finishing testing components. Then it'll be time to make the neighbors wonder what I'm doing (I've yet to run into someone who knows what a Tesla Coil is).

    ReplyDelete